Government Pardoning
I think if I were President, I would use pardoning. It would depend on the type of case it was. If it was a person who is an apparent real risk to society: i.e. murderers, rapists, gang members, then no I'd probably be a little hesitant to pardon them. But really it all depends on the individual person. I hope I'm not being too naive in my thoughts that everyone deserves a second chance. I'm not saying let loose all of the criminals because they've been in jail for X amount of years, I'm just saying that I like to believe that people can change, and should at least be given that opportunity. This is one of the reasons why I would use the pardon. One of the things that scares me most about the legislative branch is injustice. I know (or at least hope) that most of the people sitting in jail soaking up tax payer's funds deserve to be there. But I also know that sometimes people are wrongly convicted: and this scares me more than anything. We are the United States of America, archetype of freedom, liberty, and McDonald's. Of course we never make mistakes...right?
These people who "slip through the cracks" of the system, meaning they either slip into the cracks wrongfully or there are those who deserve to be in jail for the rest of their life span...are another reason as to why I would use the pardon. I think it should be used with care, but used nonetheless.


No comments:
Post a Comment