Surprisingly, I liked a lot of what McCain had to say. I always considered myself an Obama supporter but after actually listening to McCain I can honestly say that I would have no idea who to vote for...should I have to vote in the 2008 election.
I think it was important for McCain to strike on the point that he is not a supporter of war. For some reason I had always associated him with pro-war sentiments in my mind. "I hate war," were his exact words.
Interestingly enough, I was watching a FOX special on Sarah Palin and I really like her too. I think she knows her stuff. She started at the bottom and worked her way up. Not only did she start small and climb the ladder, but she's a mom on top of it all. I think she was a good choice for McCain because she adds an aspect that he did not have in his campaign before. I think a lot of people are taking her as a joke because she's a woman...who also has a 17 year old pregnant daughter...but this in fact makes her all the more qualified: she knows what it's like to raise five children, deal with a pregnant daughter, have a mentally challenged child, buy groceries for her family, pay a mortgage...she's HUMAN. I think this is incredibly important to balance out McCain's "maverick" affiliation.
Once again, McCain promised something in his speech that made me unenthusiastic to hear. It was his plan to increase tax exemption for families...giving them back more money by the time taxes are filed. This sounds like a great idea in theory...but does the budget really allow for this to happen? Won' t the economy in turn suffer if American people are offered tax exemption. Not to be a devil's advocate, but KNOW THE BUDGET JOHN MCCAIN!!!
All in all I liked his speech. If I was voting I would pay very close attention from here on out to John McCain and Barack Obama. The choice would not be an easy one to make.
"In the end, it matters less that you can fight. What you fight for is the real test."
-John McCain
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Regarding your final quote that is why it is important to find out what they are really willing to fight for. The issues you care about or.....are they just paying those issues lipservice.
Personally I lean more libertarian in my views and I value good fiscal policy. When talking about the budget, while increases and decreases in taxes are important, we must also look at wasted money and programs (welfare, wars, etc) that we are paying for that are a) wasteful and non-necessary b) tasks that the government should even be doing (welfare is not the role of the government)
Chris Davidson
Post a Comment