Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Democratic National Convention

It's super cool to watch this going on right now because this summer I went to a program called "Girl's State" and it's all about women in government. All 600 of us girls were split into 14 cities, each to run our own city government, make laws, etc. Each girl was either a federalist or a nationalist. We participated two party conventions where we were able to give and trade votes and let the "madame speaker" know how we wished to cast our votes. I never really understood how this worked until Girl's State, but seeing it on T.V. I understand it perfectly because I've participated in a fake party convention before.

It's actually really neat to watch since I know what's going on! I'm not really sure as to why Senator Clinton is attending to convention, rather than to make an appearance next to where the state of New York's delegates are standing (seeing as that's where she's from). Yep, that's why. She's there to cast the votes on behalf of New York to Barack Obama. I must say I admire her for being able to do so to her opponent. It's a classy move on her part. Senator Clinton moved to suspend the convention, seeing as he already has majority vote of all states in the DNC. The motion was adopted to accept Obama with a 2/3 vote of "I." Pretty neat to watch.

No comments: